Napa Valley College is seeking a Digital Marketing and Communications Specialist in the Office of Public Affairs and Communications.Public Affairs and Communications creates awareness and shares the story of Napa Valley College and its impact on the community. The team develops and executes strategic marketing communications campaigns, implements the district's governmental relations; and serves the college community by offering publicity, promotion, advertising, social media, marketing and branding support. The office also acts as a resource before, during and after emergency situations by providing guidelines and information to help manage crisis situations.
The incumbent in this position will be assisting the Director of Public Affairs and Communications in advancing the shared educational missions of the District through promotion and resource development; supporting marketing and communications strategies through the development and delivery of content across the District’s digital and social media platforms; coordinating social media for the District; and assisting with the coordination and execution of District events and operations within the compliance and contractual obligations of the Public Affairs and Communications department.
This job reports to the Director, Public Affairs and Communications.
This is a full-time, 12-months-per-year, classified position open to regular classified employees in range 15 only. The salary has an appropriate placement on range 15 of the current Classified Salary Schedule. The starting salary range is $4,145 to $4,799/month, with future steps up to $5,834/month. Placement is made based on experience. The college offers a fringe benefit package including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, employee assistance program, and public employee retirement system membership. The district benefit allotment is prorated for less-than-full time employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Advises staff and faculty on communication content and processes for the purpose of providing oversight to ensure quality assurance, consistent messaging, and adherence to content standards.
• Develops and produces communication materials (e.g. communications calendar, web content, event materials design, etc.) for the purpose of aligning and supporting the District’s Strategic Communications Plan and departmental goals and objectives.
• Coordinates social media for the District with staff and vendors (e.g. standards and practices, guidelines, digital media platforms, media projects, etc.) for the purpose of delivering communication to diverse audiences and achieving outcomes in relation to organizational objectives.
• Compiles data from a wide variety of sources (e.g. social media, website metrics, advertising return on investment, ad board trends, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), etc.) for the purpose of reviewing, tracking, evaluating, and reporting marketing data.
• Maintains a variety of files and records (e.g. photos, graphics, production and content files, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials and information for internal use, distribution, and/or future reference.
• Participates in the development of long- and short-term plans in relation to assigned responsibilities (e.g. communications plan, communications and marketing strategy, communications calendar, etc. media materials, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring organizational objectives are achieved in the most efficient and timely manner and in accordance with established policies.
• Performs a variety of technical work (e.g. photography, videography, desktop publishing, graphic design and production, editing, proofreading, etc.) for the purpose of providing support for District marketing/communications.
• Provides primary support for various District events (e.g. guest/audience development, design of event materials and website, program/agenda development, pre-event and post-event reporting, etc.) for the purpose of assisting with marketing communications, coordination, and execution of District events and operations within compliance and contractual obligations.
• Researches a variety of topics related to materials, equipment and/or work aids for the purpose of making recommendations for solutions that address specific requirements and/or enhancing overall efficiency of operations.
• Responds to a wide variety of inquiries from internal and external parties for the purpose of providing information, facilitating communication among parties, and providing direction.
• Schedules a wide variety of event-related activities (e.g. arrangements for facilities and equipment, media, site supervision, food and beverage service, etc.) for the purpose of making necessary arrangements to meet specifications for the execution of District events.
• Writes and/or posts content for website (e.g. web parts, web forms, online payment systems, etc.) for the purpose of assisting in development and maintenance of web content.
Performs other functions as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of the work unit.
A.Applicants must complete the online application through GovernmentJobs.com.All elements of the application, including supplemental questions, must be submitted in order for the application to be considered complete.
Internal applicants are still required to submit a complete application packet for this position. This includes submission of transcripts and all other required application materials.
The District will not accept materials by e-mail, fax, or mail for this position.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: If you are in need of special services or facilities due to a disability in order to apply or interview for this opening, please contact the Office of Human Resources, Training & Development.
Napa Valley College, an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, maintains a drug-free workplace and requires that employees abide by that policy.
For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources, Training & Development:
2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway
Napa, CA 94558
For technical support, contact NEOGOV at (855) 524-5627.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: utilizing various desktop publishing and graphics programs; maintaining and modifying web pages and sites; working in campus network and mainframe applications; using in-depth knowledge of word processing, spread sheet, and database programs, electronic mail, and the Internet.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: principles, practices and techniques of publications, marketing, and communications, including social media, web, and special events; website and marketing analytics tools; best practices in charitable giving and recordkeeping; web design and development; database software; safe work practices; and event planning.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: following directions and abiding by set timelines; organizing, communicating, and operating with others in an efficient and positive office environment; providing a high level of professional communication skills across diverse spectrum; establishing and maintaining respectful and cooperative work relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the general public; and demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic background of community college students, faculty, and staff.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; operating within a defined budget. Utilization of resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Three (3) years of job related experience
Five (5) years of job related experience
Certificates and Licenses
Valid CA Driver’s License & Evidence of Insurability
Continuing Educ. / Training
Maintains Certificates and/or Licenses
Criminal Background Clearance
• Proficient at Microsoft applications, Canva, Creative Suite, and other critical systems
• Strong understanding of social media landscape including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, TikTok, etc / emerging platforms
• Strong communication skills for print and social media content creation.
• Creative & resourceful-- tuned into social landscape, proactively looks for opportunities to test new tactics and improve processes
• Experience in paid media, Google AdWords, etc.
• Knowledge of website content management systems (CMS) and social media platforms
• Ability to analyze Google Analytics and other analytical applications for social media
• Passionate about social trends, new technology and digital marketing
Title 8, USC, Section 1324-A requires verification of eligibility for employment in the United States.
Napa Valley College is a vital part of a community known for its cultural amenities and year-round mild climate. We are dedicated to providing quality programs and services that promote learning and enhance individual development. The college has a rich tradition of educating generations of Napa Valley residents. We serve more than 5,000 students at our main campus and at a satellite campus in St. Helena. We are small enough to maintain a nurturing atmosphere, yet large enough to implement innovative educational programs and activities. We are a place where students are ""first and foremost"" in all we do. We are also an hour away from the San Francisco Bay Area. Our Faculty, Staff, and Students Napa Valley College has 114 full-time faculty positions and over 150 part-time faculty. More than 150 classified staff members and 55 administrators support our educational programs. We are a community of people excited about learning, and the college promotes and supports a spirit of teamwork.