Position: Temporary Strategic Initiatives Marketing Manager
Hours: This is a full-time position (37.5 hours per week/ 8:30am-5pm / M-F)
Pay: $27.00 per hour
Approximate start date: 5/1/17
Approximate end date: 8/22/17
Northwestern University is seeking a temporary Strategic Initiatives Marketing Manager for the Evanston campus.
Temporary Job Description:
The temporary Strategic Initiatives Marketing Manager position provides the following tasks:
- Marketing: execute and evolve integrated marketing & communication plans
- Communication: Liaise across stakeholders/units, to distill messaging/content across owned, earned, and paid media.
- Content creation; copywriting, basic HTML for emails, freelancer oversight
- Other: Marketing, project coordination & event marketing
- The Marketing Manager will provide continuity in executing the marketing strategies and tactics for two departments in order to reach targeted audiences with strategic messaging. The goal of this position is to amplify the reputation of the department’s faculty thought leadership for the assigned Initiatives.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate their ability to work across functions and teams to ensure tactics are executed on time, while aligning to the overall strategy. This person must be flexible and adaptable to changing scenarios and business needs. Experience with integrated marketing and/or communications strategy and planning is required. Event marketing and effective writing is a plus.
- This position requires a team player that works well in matrix environments and can liaise across departments and audiences including admissions, alumni, faculty, staff, and the Marketing/Alumni Relations and Communications teams. The ideal candidate is a self-starter that welcomes opportunity to define the role and work in an entrepreneurial environment.
Strategy and Execution
- Implements marketing, communications and social/digital media strategies
- Execute go-to-market strategy and marketing plan in alignment with business objectives and goals (drive awareness and deepen engagement with targeted audiences).
- Contribute perspective to market research, marketplace assessments and align content development, marketing and communications to audience needs.
- Create, facilitate manage, and develop materials related to promoting key events/activities within assigned Initiatives.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of new and existing websites, maintaining content, creating new content and ensuring alignment across the overall department’s website.
- Determine optimal means to version and promote content across paid, owned, and earned media channels.
- Working with the cross-functional Marketing/Alumni Relations and Communications teams, test new channels to scale marketing and distribution of thought leadership content.
- Testing and Reporting Testing, measurement, analysis and reporting on marketing performance (paid, owned and earned).
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor is degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- 5+ years of relevant industry and/or functional experience (marketing, communications, digital/social media)
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Experience implementing integrated marketing and/or communication strategies and planning as well as social media and event marketing required.
- Able to develop recommendations based on data analysis and best practices
- Experience managing cross-functional projects and streamlining processes
- Able to work under deadline pressure and adjust priorities independently
- Graduate degree, such as an MBA or Master's Degree in Marketing or Communications or equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Working knowledge of SEO
- Working knowledge of digital analytics platforms (i.e. Google Analytics)
- Copywriting experience for web, print and social channels.
- Basic HTML for email coding in Constant Contact and Marketing Cloud is preferred.
- MS Office suite 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Microsoft Office, Salesforce/Marketing Cloud, Basecamp, Smartsheet, basic HTML coding
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal development.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.